*Results may vary.
About Dr. Jay Suggs
A native of Alabama, Dr. Jay Suggs, MD FACS FASMBS returned home after his general surgery training at the Mayo Clinic and bariatric surgery fellowship at Princeton, NJ, to start his first bariatric surgery Center of Excellence in Decatur. He also practices in Huntsville and Madison. Dr. Suggs is a board-certified surgeon, and is also a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. He has degrees in Biology and Chemistry from Emory University, and his medical degree from UAB. Dr. Suggs, together with his wife and 3 daughters, live in Decatur, where they are an active part of their community.
Dr. Suggs has special interests in medical education and research, serving as an associate professor of surgery at the UAB Huntsville Regional Campus, as well as the director for the Huntsville campus of the ACOM and VCOM-Auburn medical schools. He has been involved in the leadership of multiple professional organizations and hospitals. Dr. Suggs is also serving on the Board of Censors Medical Assoc. of the State of Alabama and the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners.
Dr. Suggs has performed over 3,000 bariatric procedures, including the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, the laparoscopic gastric bypass, the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band, and bariatric revision/redo surgery. He also is among the first surgeons in the U.S. to perform the Orbera intragastric balloon, the nonsurgical weight loss device.
Call our office for an appointment with Dr. Suggs, or attend a FREE webinar or office-based mini-webinar! When you have your visit, we will give you a detailed analysis of how your insurance will work to cover your surgery. Many require 6 months of dieting prior to approval. Other great ways to learn about bariatric surgery are attending a support group (see the Getting Started tab for a schedule of local meetings) or checking out our website. Offices in Huntsville and Decatur.
Bariatric surgery offered at the accredited bariatric centers at Crestwood Medical Center and Huntsville Hospital, and minor outpatient operations and endoscopy including the Orbera balloon at Med Surg in Decatur.
- "Treating Postoperative Pain - A Better Way." William Jay Suggs, MD. Medical Digest. Pg. 1, 4-5. Winter 2020.
- "Outcomes of Pain Control in Post-Op Laparoscopic Gastic Sleeve Patients on Either a Narcotic of a Non-Narcotic Regimen: A Retrospective Study." Stephanie Mitchell, DO, Erin Gordon, DO, Ben Pare, DO, Adrienne Gonzales, DO, Jade Buckley, CRNA, Jay Suggs, MD. Surgery for Obesity and Related Disease - Oct 01, 2019 15/10, Supplement/Pages S170-S171
- "Outcomes of Pain Control in Post-Op Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Patients on Either a Narcotic or a Non-Narcotic Regimen: A Retrospective Study". Stephanie Mitchell, DO, Ben Pare, DO, Nikki Gordon, DO, Adrienne Gonzales, DO, Bejamin Pardue, W. Jay Suggs, MD, FACS, FASMBS Poster Presentation at Obesity Week/ASMBS Annual Meeting Nov. 2019.
- "Impact of Patient Follow-ip on the Effectiveness of Intragastric Balloons for Weight Loss," Brock Daughtry, Samuel Hagman, William Jay Suggs, MD. Poster Presentation at the MASA 2019 Annual Meeting.
- "Outcomes of Pain Control in Post-Op Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Patients on Either a Narcotic or a Non-Narcotic Regimen," Stephanie Mitchell, Ben Pare, Nikki Gordon, Adrienne Gonzales, W. Jay Suggs, MD. Poster Presentation at the MASA 2019 Annual Meeting.
- "Portal Vein Thrombus After Gastric Sleeve," Andrei Lojek and Jay Suggs, MD. Poster Presentation at the MASA 2018 Annual Meeting.
- “Perforated peptic ulcer occurrence in the bypassed stomach and duodenum following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” William Suggs, MD; Tyler Byrd, BS; Kenneth Todd Foreman, MD. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 11:S112-113, Nov/Dec 2015.
- “Perforated peptic ulcer occurrence in the bypassed stomach and duodenum following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Tyler B. Byrd, K. Todd Foreman, W. Jay Suggs; Department of Surgery. Poster presentation Obesity Week Nov. 2015.
- “Anastomotic stricture, bleeding, and ulcer following laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a comparison between the 21 and 25 mm circular staplers,” W. Jay Suggs, Wael Kouli, Michael Lupovici, Wai Yip Chau, and Robert E. Brolin. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 3:508, Sept/Oct 2007.
- “Stricture, bleeding, and ulcer following laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass constructed using a circularly stapled gastrojejunostomy,” W. Jay Suggs, Wael Kouli, Michael Lupovici, and Robert E. Brolin. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 1:248, May/June 2005.
- “Stricture, bleeding, and ulcer following laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass constructed using a circularly stapled gastrojejunostomy,” W. Jay Suggs, Wael Kouli and Robert E. Brolin, presented at ASBS June, 2005.
- “Outcomes of Ogilvie’s syndrome: a marker for mortality,” W. Jay Suggs and Tonia M. Young-Fadok, presented at DDW/SSAT May, 2000.
- Pseudoobstruction of the Colon, W. Jay Suggs and Tonia M. Young-Fadok, “The Practice of General Surgery,” ed. K. Bland. Oct. 2001.
- “Pseudoxanthoma elasticum and the association with aortic and peripheral vascular disease,” W. Jay Suggs and Audra A. Noel, presented at the Minnesota Surgical Society Oct. 2001.
- Director of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Crestwood Medical Center, August 2019 to present
- State of Alabama Physicians Assistant Advisory Committee, July 2019 to present
- Board of Censors Medical Assoc. of the State of Alabama, 2019 to present
- Fellow of Federation of State Medical Boards, 2019 to present
- Alabama Board of Medical Examiners, 2019 to present
- State Committee on Public Health, 2019 to present
- Decatur Heritage Christian Academy Board of Education member, 2016 to present; Vice-Chairman August 2019 to present
- Nominating Committee Chairman, Medical Assoc. of the State of Alabama 2018-19
- Chairman State Council on Medical Education, April 2015 to April 2017
- Surveyor American College of Surgeons MBSAQIP Bariatric accreditation program, May 2014 to present
- Crestwood Medical Center Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Committee Member, September 2012 to present
- Counsellor-5th District, College of Counsellors- Medical Assoc. of the State of Alabama, April 2012 to present
- Morgan County Medical Society President, January 2011 to January 2012
- Delegate Medical Assoc. of the State of Alabama annual session Apr. 2010 and Washington Gov. Affairs Conference Feb. 2012, Feb. 2013, Feb. 2014, Feb 2015, Feb 2016
- Decatur General Hospital Div. Chief/General Surgery Jan. 2010 to Jan. 2012
- Morgan County Medical Society Vice-president, November 2009 to Dec. 2010
- Decatur General Hospital Clinical Review Committee, May 2009 to July 2012
- Morgan County Medical Society Board of Censors, March 2009 to March 2013 (Chairman Jan. 2012 to 2013)
- American College of Surgeons Cancer Liaison Physician-Decatur General Cancer Committee, March 2008 to March 2012
- Calhoun Community College Surgical Technologist Program Advisory Board, 2007 to present
- Chief of Surgery at Parkway Medical Center, January 2007 to January 2011
- Chairman of Bariatric Quality Committee at Parkway Medical Center, April 2005 to July 2012
- Medical Director of the Surgical Weight Loss Center-Parkway Medical Center, April 2005 to July 2012
- Chief Resident Mayo Clinic 2001-2002
- Co-Chairman, Class of 1997 Transcript Committee, 1993-95
- Vice-President Stipe Society of Scholars of Emory, 1992-93
- President, Phi Sigma, Biological Sciences Honor Society, 1991-93
- Director Medical Education Crestwood Medical Center 2013-present
- Site Director AMEC/ACOM Huntsville Campus 2013 to present
- Surgery clerkship preceptor at the Alabama Medical Education Consortium Decatur Campus 2010 to 2013
- Surgery clerkship preceptor UAB School of Medicine Huntsville Regional Campus (associate professor of surgery), 2007 to present
- Chief Surgical Resident, 2001-2002
- Teaching assistant in gross anatomy at the University of Alabama School of Medicine, 1996
- Lab instructor in biology at Emory, 1993
- Teaching assistant in biology at Emory, 1990-91
- Outstanding Volunteer Faculty UAB Huntsville Regional Campus 2013
- Teaching Award-Mayo Surgical Assistants Program, 2000
- Dean’s Award (UASOM), 1997
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 1996
- National Institutes of Health Summer Research Scholar, 1994
- University of Alabama School of Medicine Scholarship, 1993-97
- Who's Who Among College and University Students, 1992
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1992
- Howard Hughes Research Fellowship, 1992
- Phi Sigma, Biological Sciences Honor Society, 1991
- Dean's List (Emory), 1989-1993
- Stipe Society of Emory Scholarship, 1989-1993
- Wal-Mart Foundation Scholarship, 1989
- Eagle Scout Award, 1988
About Alabama Bariatrics
Alabama Bariatrics and Minimally Invasive Surgery is dedicated to the health and well-being of people in north Alabama who struggle with their weight. We understand how difficult it is to lose weight and to keep it off. It doesn't matter to us how you became obese. We just want to help you find a solution. And for those who've had weight loss surgery, we want to help you keep it off and develop a healthy lifestyle.
The friendly staff at Alabama Bariatrics will treat you in a nonjudgmental manner with the end goal in mind…your success. Some of the staff have even had bariatric surgery, so we know what you’ve been through. Getting insurance approval can be tough, so our staff will work with you every step of the way.
Katie Wilson, CRNP
Katie is Dr. Suggs' nurse practitioner and new to our team! Katie was born and raised in Huntsville, Alabama. She received her bachelors and masters in nursing from UAH. Katie has worked at Huntsville Hospital and Crestwood in the Cardiac and ICU units as a registered nurse. Katie will be with you before, during, and after surgery. She will help to answer your medical questions or problems you encounter during the process.
Cathy is Dr. Suggs’ assistant, having worked for him for over 17 years. She understands how bariatric surgery works better than anyone, having experienced it from both sides. Dr. Suggs did her laparoscopic gastric bypass in 2011. Cathy will take care of your medical needs before and after surgery, walk you through the steps of getting insurance approval for your surgery, and submit to insurance. She is truly your advocate.
EmmaLaura has dual roles in managing the office and “managing” Orbera patients. She will teach you about the Orbera intragastric balloon, help you through the process of getting Orbera, and be your “coach” during your 12 month weight loss program. EmmaLaura has a degree in Kinesiology from Auburn University.
Jade has now become our bariatric surgery insurance coordinator! She has been with Alabama Bariatrics for over 2.5 years and has learned it all! Jade will be guiding you through all your insurance requirements and getting all of you approved for your bariatric surgery!